Thursday, May 9, 2013

Husband For A Trainer - It Works!

As I'm going along on this journey one of the most frequent questions I get is, "How can you have your husband as a trainer? Don't you want to kill each other?"

I can understand, a while back when Kyle and I worked out together or he was trying to train me, I wasn't the best client.  I would question him, tell him what I thought I needed to do, when we ran together I would get mad if he ran faster than me.  I'm a very competitive person and it didn't work for us.  Sounds petty I know, but hey I'm honest!

Now we are 32, funny at this moment both of us are actually 32 :)  We've grown and matured a LOT.  I myself have changed so much over the years when it comes to exercise, races, volleyball, I'm still competitive but not nearly like I was.  I've learned that I actually don't know everything about weight lifting and certainly not about dieting.  The biggest thing I've learned over the years is that I happen to be married to an amazing trainer, a guy with awesome ideas, hard work ethic and he really knows what he's doing and talking about.

When I decided to truly begin this journey in January we did have a talk before we started.  I promised to listen to Kyle, not question him, follow his plan fully and let it be "our" journey.  I'm surprised he didn't have me sign a contract or something ;)  I mean he really kept thinking of how I was before and I know he was a tad bit worried.

Kyle knows my limits, he knows the moment before I will break, he knows when I can do one more rep or one more set.  He knows how to support me, how to push me, how to motivate me.

The best outcome so far has been seeing our relationship grow and become so, so strengthened.  This year in June we will celebrate our 9 year anniversary, I know crazy right?!?  I can honestly say I've never felt so close to him, for us this was the most awesome thing we could have chosen to do :)

He is overly excited at times about my progress, so proud of what I'm accomplishing and how hard I'm working.  I'm proud of him for being such an amazing trainer, so positive, supportive, funny and yet stringent in a good way.

I love my husband so much and am thankful for our "dates" at the gym, we are truly enjoying ourselves and all the extra time we are spending together.  It wouldn't work for everyone but it works for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment