Thursday, April 10, 2014

Hill Sprint Hell

That's right, I said it.  I like challenging my body, I really do.  Lately I've began to feel like an "athlete" again.  It has been almost 15 months since I truly began this journey.  I'm stronger and able to push myself more when it comes to cardio.

Competition training along with half marathon training make me feel empowered.  I can lift some damn heavy weights and I can run a decent distance, sand volleyball will be starting in just two and a half weeks as well.  I told Kyle at that point, in my own head, I am an athlete.  He let me know that before volleyball even starts, I am an athlete :)

Hill sprints are important when it comes to conditioning and it does wonders for the glute/hamstring tie in.  That is the toughest area for most people to tone up, myself included.

I haven't been doing many hill sprints yet, I plan on keeping them on my agenda once a week from here on out.  Well maybe I will cut them out once we hit negative temperatures and get snow and ice, but that is a LONG way off!

Today I did a good jog, jumping jacks, squats, high knees, knee tucks and got really warmed up.  I stood at the bottom of the hill ready to attack it!  The focus was really on my form, staying on the balls of my feet through the sprint, pumping my arms and lifting my knees.

HOLY.....SHIT.  I did a total of eight hill sprints.  It was crazy windy, a bit chillier than I thought it would be, it was TOUGH.  I planned on doing 20 second sprints, this doesn't even get me all the way up the hill I use, which is fine.  Jogged slowly back down it and ran in place between sprints.  You would think it wouldn't be that tough, oh but it is.  

Tonight I have to lift arms after work.  I am thrilled when I lift upper body, my right bicep has a serious vein sticking out.  That sucker hides away when I am done but I've never had it be so noticeable.  Soon, very soon that vein will be permanently protruding and I will proudly show it off ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment